20 years for man who supplied guns in San Bernardino mass shooting

Enrique Marquez Jr. sentenced to 20 years behind bars for supplying the weapons used in the 2015 terrorist shooting in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and 22 wounded.

U.S. District Court Judge Jesus G. Bernal said he couldn’t hold Marquez legally responsible for the 14 slayings. Authorities have said that Marquez did not know about the plot in advance.

The Riverside resident had been convicted of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and making a false statement on federal firearms-purchase forms: Marquez said the firearms he was buying in 2011 and 2012 were for his use.

Instead, he sold them to neighbor Syed Rizwan Farook as part of an aborted plan to wage attacks on motorists on the 91 Freeway and at Riverside City College, prosecutors said.

By then, Farook had radicalized his longtime friend to Islam.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Melanie Sartoris pushed for a 25-year sentence Friday, saying the 28-year-old Marquez is highly intelligent despite claims of a mental illness made in January when he sought to withdraw his admission that he provided the assault-style rifles.

His IQ is probably higher than anybody’s in the courtroom,Sartoris said. He knew better.

Further, she said in court, the aborted attacks created the template for the shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.

But Judge Bernal, while describing Marquez’s crimes as horrific and terrible offenses, cited mitigating factors such as Marquez’s troubled upbringing and cooperation with the FBI after his 911 call identified Farook as one of the likely attackers.

Sponsors
             
Supporters
                                                  
Copyright 2017 Content TiNYg RWT All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list