US Minnesota man who trained with Islamic State pleads guilty

A Minnesota man who traveled to Syria and Iraq where prosecutors say he became a soldier for the Islamic State group pleaded guilty on Wednesday to a terrorism count. Abdelhamid Al-Madioum, 24, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court of Minnesota to one count of providing and attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization. According to his plea agreement and court documents, Al-Madioum left his family while they were visiting extended relatives in…

Cuba placed back on US terrorism sponsor list

The US has placed Cuba back on a list of state sponsors of terrorism, citing the communist country’s backing of Venezuela. President Donald Trump’s administration made the announcement just days before he leaves the White House. President-elect Joe Biden, who takes office on 20 January, has previously said he wants to improve US-Cuban relations. Cuba called the move political opportunism. Mr Biden has said he is seeking closer ties between the long-term adversaries but Mr…

UK Man jailed for life for murdering three men in Reading terrorist attack

A terrorist who brutally murdered three men and tried to kill another three will spend the rest of his life in jail after being sentenced at the Old Bailey, London.Khairi Saadallah killed James Furlong, aged 36, David Wails, aged 49, and Joseph Ritchie-Bennett, aged 39, during a meticulously-planned knife attack in Forbury Gardens in Reading, on 20 June.The 26-year-old of Basingstoke Road, Reading, also attacked and tried to kill three other men.The offender was arrested…

Al-Qaeda: Pompeo says Iran is jihadist network’s new home base

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has publicly accused Iran’s government of allowing the jihadist network al-Qaeda to establish a new home base there. Unlike in Afghanistan, when al-Qaeda was hiding in the mountains, al-Qaeda today is operating under the hard shell of the Iranian regime’s protection, he told the National Press Club. Mr Pompeo provided no concrete evidence to support his allegations. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called them warmongering lies. Last November,…

Police arrest man on suspicion of Islamist terrorism offences

A 47-year-old terrorist suspect was arrested at address in Redhill, Surrey. He is currently being held by police on suspicion of Islamist terrorism offencesThere is not believed to be any imminent threat to public and inquiries continue Police said the 47-year-old was detained at an address in the Redhill area today as part of an ongoing investigation. Detectives from Counter Terrorism Policing South East (CTPSE) arrested the man at an address on Friday under Section…

UK Essex Teenager Charged With Terrorism Offences

The boy was arrested under the Terrorism Act as part of a pre-planned operation. The 17-year-old from Essex, who cannot be named due to his age, has been charged with six terrorism offences following an investigation led by Counter Terrorism Policing North East, supported by Eastern Region Special Operations Unit (ERSOU) and Essex Police. On the morning of Tuesday 29th December, the boy was arrested and detained under the Terrorism Act, as part of a…

USA Explosive device discovered and destroyed at Republican Party headquarters

Two devices discovered on day of chaos and violence. A pipe bomb is said to been found and destroyed at the Republican National Committee headquarters in Washington DC, close to the US Capitol building. Reports said a second package was found close to the offices of the Democratic National Committee, which were evacuated as a result. The New York Times said the explosive at the RNC building, was a pipe bomb. The two buildings are…

Lockerbie bombing: New suspect soon to be charged – US media

The US will soon announce charges against a Libyan suspected of making the bomb that blew up Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in 1988, US media say. Prosecutors will soon seek the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad Masud to stand trial in the US, reports say. He is currently being held in Libya, according to the Wall Street Journal. This has not been confirmed by the Libyan authorities. The blast on board a Boeing…

Nigeria school attack: Hundreds of boys freed, local authorities say

Hundreds of schoolboys kidnapped last week from a boarding school in north-western Nigeria have been released, local authorities have told the BBC. A spokesman for the governor of Katsina state said 344 had been freed and were all in a good condition. However, other reports suggest some remain in the hands of their captors. The attack was claimed by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which hours earlier released a video apparently showing some of…

Two sentenced to 30 years in jail over Charlie Hebdo killings

A French court has jailed for 30 years the main accused present for the trial over the 2015 killings at the Charlie Hebdo magazine offices and a Jewish supermarket in Paris, stopping short of the life term demanded by the prosecution. Ali Riza Polat was convicted of complicity by the court, which also gave a 30-year jail sentence in absentia to Hayat Boumeddiene, the partner of one of the attackers. She fled to Syria in…