DUTCH SHOOTING: UTRECHT POLICE ARREST SUSPECT AFTER THREE KILLED

A man has been arrested following a shooting in the central Dutch city of Utrecht which left three people dead, police say.

Five others were injured in the incident, which the authorities say appears to be a terrorist attack.

Police have arrested Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man, in connection with the shooting.

“We have just been informed that the suspect has been arrested,” police chief Rob van Bree told reporters.

It is not yet clear where Mr Tanis was detained.

Schools were closed and security was increased while counter-terrorism police worked to locate the suspect earlier on Monday.

A photograph of him was posted on social media by police, who warned people against approaching him.

A number of raids were reportedly carried out and counter-terrorism officers were pictured surrounding a building near the 24 Oktoberplein junction, where the tram attack took place.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte earlier said the country had been “jolted by an attack”, which he described as “deeply disturbing”.

“We cannot exclude a terrorist motive,” Dutch anti-terrorism co-ordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg told a news conference earlier on Monday.

The tram attack happened at about 10:45 local time (09:45 GMT). One witness told local media that “a man started shooting wildly”.

Sponsors
             
Supporters
                                                  
Copyright 2017 Content TiNYg RWT All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list